Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Haiti 2014: Day 2

On the second day, we didn't have to get up very early unless we wanted breakfast, which is always served at 7 sharp. And I wanted breakfast. So I got up early. Like 5:30 early. The power is almost never on, so we use the generator. Well that morning the battery that the generator powers went dead and they couldn't turn the generator back on until 6 because it is so loud it disturbs the neighbors. That should be the least of my troubles though. There are so many so close to where we were staying that are lying on the hard earth. They never have power. And they don't have a bed to sleep in. I do. And I should be so grateful. But often times, I don't even think about it. I don't even thank the God who gave me the warm bed. I just sleep in it and wish a certain dip wasn't there or that it were a little softer.
Mornings are a great time to read the Bible and write in my journal. Apparently I did a lot of that while I was in Haiti. Apparently I should write a book.

The view of the mountains is only given to the daring few. I must have been one of them.

After breakfast (and a cold shower, which felt really good), this man named Ronald came to sell us the things he made. It got very hot very fast sitting in that sun.

Me, Rose, and Dixie.
Then we headed out to go feed the children at a school.
Gloria, Marie, Ginette (our translator and Haitian friend), Barbara, Elisabeth, Tarnisha, Jenny, Rose, me, Mom, Dixie
The children sitting at their desks. They love their pictures taken!
Serving the food.

Photo by Elisabeth




Ok. So I just want to make an observation: Haitians are BEAUTIFUL!
Photo by Elisabeth

Photo by Elisabeth

Photo by Elisabeth
The children sang for us and it was so sweet I wanted to give them all hugs. So I started with one. And then they all wanted a hug. Before I knew it they were all over me, kissing me, hugging me, and stroking me. They loved my hair. I love it too, so I didn't want them to pull it all out like I thought they might.... haha!




The high-schoolers were a little more shy.  But very sweet.
It is hard to capture their smiles. It is counter-cultural to smile for a picture. So I caught them unaware.
Everywhere we went, we saw the Haitians carrying stuff on their heads. I wanted to try. I think I'd probably make a mess.

This little guy was about a foot long.

After feeding the kids at the school, we went to Pastor Timothy's orphanage. He gets almost no support from America and not much more from the Haitian people, so his place is very poor. But the children are ADORABLE!

We gave the children all sorts of fun things that they loved and appreciated.

That is Pastor Timothy to the right.


Then we headed over to the HUG (Haiti Under God) orphanage. They showed us their new house, braided our hair, and sang for us. Beautiful girls.
Nahomie, braiding my hair.

Rose and Gardenia.


Elisabeth's hair.
Then we headed back to the guesthouse and ate and relaxed.


3 comments:

  1. You *should* write a book. :) <3 Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I love your pictures and descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those pictures of those precious children. The 8th picture with the one boy turning around is so adorable. I love your braids too!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment or check your reactions in the boxes right below the post. Even if you think the post was dull. ; ) I'd love to hear you thoughts!